Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Remembrance Day Services

Each year, I struggle to find the right words to share with my children about Remembrance Day. I tell them our personal family history and involvement and try to answer their questions as best I can. The Royal Canadian Legion has some excellent information that is appropriate for children here: http://www.legion.ca/Poppy/campaign_e.cfm

I have been fortunate to attend the last few Remembrance Day assemblies at Macaulay Elementary. The teachers and staff are outstanding. They are able to bring children and families together with Veterans to talk about Remembrance Day in a way that is deeply moving. I am always reminded that my children are blessed with health, education and freedom.

Tomorrow, we will have several opportunities to attend Remembrance Day services. In Esquimalt, there is a service at the Veteran's Cemetery at 9:30am. At 10:30 a.m. there is a Remembrance Day parade from the Esquimalt Legion to the Memorial Park cenotaph across from municipal hall, 1229 Esquimalt Rd. A ceremony follows at 10:55 a.m.