Friday, September 26, 2008

Coffee Talk

In the last two days I've had a lot of coffee. Today alone, I've been for coffee at three different coffee shops. Fortunately, its not just the caffeine that is sending my head spinning...its the conversation too.

Recently I posted about the community visioning process that Ladysmith has been taking. I was particularly intrigued by their attempts to engage youth in the planning process. I am grateful that an incredibly interesting woman named Sarah has taken the time to chat with me over the phone about some of their innovations. She is not only a fellow storyteller, she is also a lover of quotes. The website, www.definingthefuture.ca opens with this one:

"A strong sense of place begets a strong sense of community. In an ideal situation the community pulls together, cooperates, takes care of its people, develops its village pride, its cuisine and accents, tolerates and supports its local eccentrics and characters, and has in some cases an indigenous music, or a literary style – and, above all, a sense of itself." - John Hanson Mitchell from Walking towards Walden: A pilgrimage in search of place.

I am fascinated with their use of strategic storytelling to engage youth and I'll be following along with keen interest.

Today I had the opportunity to sit down with someone whose work I have read and admired for a very long time - Bernard von Schulmann. His writing can be seen in several places on the Internet. I check www.victoriavision.blogspot.com daily. It is the most comprehensive source of information on the different municipal candidates that I have found.

He generously cleared a little time on his busy calendar to meet. I really enjoyed it. Like all good discussions I left with much "food for thought" and inspiration to dive into more research. Learning, exchanging ideas, meeting new people....this is what I love most about running for Council.

What I loved most about this day though, was starting it off at Beans and Greens with a few of my closest friends. I am so fortunate to know real friendship and feel real community.

No comments: