Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Smiles

"Perhaps the best Yuletide decoration is being wreathed in smiles." - Unknown

My kids are settled in their beds, so I must take a moment to rave about Esquimalt. We just got home from the Celebration of Lights, and as always, it was a night to remember.

For my kids, this night is nothing short of magical. They get to see friends from school, sing and dance on the stage, and march in the parade. They visited with Santa, received a wonderful goodie bag and munched on hot dogs and hot chocolate made for them by the Lions. The organizing committee, the Esquimalt Neighbourhood House, the merchants of the Plaza - they all did an incredible job.

What makes this evening so special is the amazing people who live here. I am so lucky to live in a community where we are surrounded by smiles from familiar faces! My kids saw their elementary school teachers, their preschool teachers and their coaches from various activities. It is a powerful thing when these trusted adults come to watch the kids perform in the choir or walk in the parade. It says, "you matter to me." As a Mom, I simply can't thank them enough for the positive influence they've had on my kids.

Thank you Esquimalt for getting me in the festive spirit!