Thursday, July 9, 2009

FCM Whistler





In June, I was able to attend the Federation of Canadian Municipalities AGM and conference in Whistler. Some of the most memorable moments for me were touring the Wastewater Treatment Facilities. As the Mayor's Alternate at the CRD, I need to keep up on the discussions around our future sewage treatment. Seeing Whistler's operation gave me great perspective. They are doing some pretty neat things - making compost and recovering heat for residents! It helped to put things in perspective. I really appreciated the chance to see some of the technology being discussed in action.

We also got to visit some of the Olympic venues. I attended the Winter Olympic Games in Calgary '88, so I was particularly interested in seeing some of the work that has been done.

In all, there were valuable speakers and workshops and I was very honoured to go and represent Esquimalt!