Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembrance Day

In a short time, I'll be walking to Memorial Park with my family for the Remembrance Day Service at the Cenotaph. My husbands Father was a veteran of World War 2 and this day holds personal significance for those of us who loved him and miss him.

Yesterday, our elementary school had its Remembrance Day assembly. It is always a very emotional event as many of the children there have family away at sea. We are always joined by Veterans who form a Colour Guard with the children who are in Brownies, Scouts, Cadets etc. As always, it was beautiful. This year, the Grade 4/5 choir sung a song that was particularly touching. I don't think that these are the exact lyrics that the children sang yesterday...but much of it is the same. I hope you'll find it as meaningful as I did.


INSCRIPTION OF HOPE

I believe in the sun,
even when it is not shining,
And I believe in love,
even when there's no one there.

And I believe in God,
even when He is silent,
I believe in every trial,
there is always a way.

But sometimes in this suffering
and hopeless despair,
My heart cries for shelter,
to know someone's there.
A voice rises within me,
saying "Hold on, my child,
I'll give you strength,
I'll give you hope,
Just stay a little while."

May there someday be sunshine,
May there someday be happiness,
May there someday be love,
May there someday be peace.