Friday, November 14, 2008

Rusty Buttons and All...

As I handed out my last flyer today, this quote sprang to mind:

"Finish each day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can.
Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely
and with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


This campaign is over now. There were blunders. There were absurdities. There was certainly nonsense. Most of all though; there was laughter, there was friendship, there was unwavering support.

I hold so many moments in my heart:

Standing on the steps of municipal Hall on April 23rd, 2007. Waiting to address Council. Taking turns watching the children as parents took their turns at the microphone inside.

Laughing over coffee in Beans and Greens as the suggestion of me running for Council was discussed.

Announcing my decision there a year later.

Hearing my announcement on the news. Reading it in the paper. Seeing my own writing in a magazine.

There are moments I know I will always remember. There are people I know I can never forget.

The man who gave me his old signs to recycle as my own.

The man who salvaged wood and hardware to put them together…and volunteered to take them apart.

The people who called to ask for a lawn sign.

The people who delivered flyers.

The people who knocked on doors with me.

The friend who knocked on doors with me on the wettest day of the year. Who stood beside me for so long that her “Vote Alison Gaul for Esquimalt Council” button rusted in the rain.

The people who opened their doors and invited me in.

The people who opened their doors and hugged me and said “I already voted for you at the advance polls.”

The long time Esquimalt residents who shared their stories and their wisdom with me. To have the generous gift of their time has helped me foster an understanding of where we’ve been and where we hope to go.

As we creep closer to midnight, and election day dawns, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. I am struggling for words to adequately express how I feel. I only know this: I love my husband more today then when we started on this campaign. I am more proud than ever of my incredible children. I am so fortunate to be surrounded by so many amazing friends. No matter what the polls say tomorrow…I am glad that I did this.

Thank you all so much for sharing this adventure with me.