Friday, August 8, 2008

Congratulations Nakusp!

Nakusp has just received a grant to upgrade their arena. They've also used grant money to upgrade their sewage treatment plant. I am impressed that they are saving the taxpayers' money on these improvements AND they are becoming more environmentally friendly. Well done Nakusp!

Friday, August 08, 2008
Provincial Funds Help Upgrade Nakusp Arena
By Ministry of Community Development

NAKUSP – The Province is investing $400,000 in Towns for Tomorrow funding to upgrade the Village of Nakusp’s ice arena, creating a greener, healthier community for residents, Technology, Trade and Economic Development Minister Ida Chong announced. “Through Towns for Tomorrow, our government is providing B.C.’s smaller communities with the means necessary to act on infrastructure needs,” said Chong. “This ice arena is a central part of the Nakusp community, and its citizens will benefit from having a more eco-friendly and inclusive facility for everyone to enjoy.”The ice arena renovation will include a new refrigeration system and heat recovery system, as well as a new accessible washroom for people with disabilities. The upgrade will also include roof repair and the installation of solar panels.“The Nakusp and Area Community Complex/Arena is the lifeline of this community and without it, we would be left without a venue to hold the majority of our community events – including our weddings, funerals, graduation ceremonies, and more,” said Nakusp Mayor Karen Hamling. “Provincial support such as the Towns for Tomorrow program is absolutely necessary for small populations such as Nakusp.”“Towns for Tomorrow encourages B.C.’s smaller communities to improve their local infrastructure and become even better places to live and work,” said Community Development Minister Blair Lekstrom. “The Towns for Tomorrow program also builds on other supports that the Province has in place for smaller communities, such as Small Community Grant Program, which has resulted in $1.3 million going to Nakusp since 2004.”Nakusp is benefiting from other recently approved projects, including $320,000 in provincial funding through the Canada-B.C. Municipal Rural Infrastructure Fund for a sewage treatment plant upgrade.Towns for Tomorrow is a three-year, $21-million program to help small municipalities enhance community infrastructure and create legacies for the future. The Province provides 80 per cent of the funding for approved projects, to a maximum provincial contribution of $400,000, with communities funding the remaining 20 per cent.Towns for Tomorrow is one of four Green Cities programs aimed at creating more environmentally sustainable communities, and helping the Province reach its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions 33 per cent below current levels by 2020. The Towns for Tomorrow program is meant to encourage citizens to think differently about their communities, how they use them, and what legacy they want to build for today’s and future generations.For more information on Towns for Tomorrow and links to other local government supports, visit

No comments: